Sunday, November 22, 2009

this week is going to be a bit crazy


My mom is coming this week! But I've got a load of stuff to finish up before she comes (while she's here).

There was a new Italian cinema film screening up in the city today. I saw La casa sulle nuvole, (The House in the Clouds) it's about two Italian brothers go to Marrakesh to find their father who they thought he was dead a long time ago... The father is an artist, a dreamer, a club owner, et cetera...
Luckily, I was able to listen to the director talk about the making/editing process and how he wrote all the music for the film. I wish if I could stay for other films but didn't have time.
I have this thing for "desert shots", which somehow always excites me. shot of sand waves, desert and the sky, desert and nomads' tent (Berber tent), desert and animal(In Sahara, mostly goats, camels and sheeps). I think it's beautiful. Though if I'm in the Sahara or Kalahari all alone in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure how I'd feel. I'd enjoy staying there for a while then probably will realize that it's beautiful but start to see the difficult side of it, like when the wind blows the sand constantly get in my eyes, mouth and ears and nose or when I find out that there are a tons of scorpions hiding under the sand... It's simply because I'm not used to it though. No scorpion bites, please.
Watching movies makes me think, especially the good ones (in my own opinion) bring the great feeling afterwards. Foreign films (I feel a bit strange to call this way) makes me want to see things that I'm not used to, something alien to me, from bugs and plants to people, language, architecture, and lives. The short clip for La casa sulle nuvole http://www.sffs.org/content.aspx?pageid=1367
In the comment after the movie Claudio Giovannesi mentioned that he likes Jim Jarmusch, Gas Van Sant films and I knew why I enjoyed his film as well. There is also a short documentary he did on Italian people living in Morocco, I don't remember the title but that's sound interesting as well. I want to check out this book called The Brotherhood of the Grapeby John Fante. When it comes to the book hunting, I miss the used bookstores back home. They usually have books from nickel and dime, and what I like about going there is that we can actually read them before you get them. I change my mind when I dig something more interesting while at the store, which it happens to me often. Yes, Amazon books are amazing but It's one of my favorite thing to spend time that way. I guess I'm old fashioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment